Thursday, January 31, 2013

Alt-J: Tessellate

It's been forever that I've found a band whose album I can not turn off.  Alt-J is currently the group that I listen to, on repeat, on my to work and back.  The British quartet, who met in art school and considers themselves to be of the step-folk music genre, have my heart; mainly because they blend old English vocal harmonies, complex drumbeats, and dark lyrics.  Sigh goes my car stereo...and they're coming to Austin for SXSW. Tessellate-directed by Alex Southern.

Tessellate recreates Raphael's fresco, The School of Athens, painted in Vatican City in the early 1500's.  Whereas School of Athens depicts the most important minds of classical Greek philosophy, Southern's interpretation shows modern English gangsters and hustlers.  The original art historical piece is said to champion love as a way to higher knowledge (at least according to Wikipedia) and I wonder what this new reading is supposed to champion. 

Fitzpleasure-directed by Emilie Sornin

No comments:

Post a Comment