Thursday, February 7, 2013

Musical Style: Santigold

You've said you want be more than an artist - a brand. Is that something Jay-Z taught you? 

That was why I went to Roc Nation. They [understood that] a lot better than most music managers. We're in such a crazy time for the business, no one really knows what's going on. It's changing so fast that people can't keep up. So many managers are still like "you make a record, you tour the record, you make another record..." and that'sso not it. There's so much other stuff you have to do now. Somebody told me a long time ago, when my first record came out, "your record is just your business card" - you're not going to do anything with the record other than build your brand. That stuck with me. So I don't think of myself as just a musician at all, I think of myself as an artist. I've just been learning how to direct my own videos, choreography, doing costumes... every creative opportunity there is with my music I've taken. Anyway, I'd get bored with just doing music! 
By Oliver Franklin via British GQ


No comments:

Post a Comment