Friday, June 15, 2012

Ensemble: The Style Of Music

Music & Fashion.  It's been in unison for ages and there's really nothing new that I could say about it except to highlight some amazing musicians who have used fashion to their advantage.  So I shall be starting a new albeit, sporadic, post series where I'll do just that; I'll put up all the musical artists that rock on soundtracks and magazine spreads. 

I found this awesome poster by Glen Michael of Moxy Creative House and illustrated by James Alexander called Ensemble: The Style Of Music.  The style of men like Chet Baker, Prince, Kiss, Pharrell Williams, and Andre 3000 are included.  The breakdown of the rest of the poster can be found here.
Living in Austin, where one can see live music every night of the week, I'm always kind of amazed that more musicians don't make an effort with the outfits.  Most local musicians are jeans and a t-shirt kind of variety and sometimes it comes off as super-schlepy; that's why my friends and I did the Don't Bring Me Down project, where we dressed a hypothetical band.  Unfortunately it was only hypothetical because we didn't have time to find a real band to let us take over their whole look, it was only a month-long endeavor from start to finish.  Instead, we created one that would have their musical chops based in funk and a heavy bass drum while their lyrics would be reminiscent of 18th century Romantic poetry, by the likes of Baudelaire and Rimbaud.  I still think that would be an interesting mix and it's too bad I don't play any instruments, otherwise I'd do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment