Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Franks, Austin

This past Sunday I ventured out again in search of the best Bloody Mary in Austin; this time we went to Frank's, a rustic-chic hotdog joint that also hosts some excellent traveling bands on the weekends.  The folks at Franks have a good thing going in their branding and ambiance; I will readily suggest meeting some friends for a quick quick cocktail and a bit to eat purely on the basis that it's a super cute, yet chill, place to hang out.  Despite the fact that I love meat, having taken on my adopted city's penchant for all things with muscles, I am not super thrilled with the food here.  It's decent but not a place that warrants a stop on food tour of Austin.  
Photo via Method & Craft
The Bloody Mary I had was good-probably number 3 on my list so far, under Rio Rita's and Hillside Farmacy, but above Easy Tiger.  Redeeming qualities: thicker consistancy, bacon infused vodka, thickcut slab of bacon.  Detrimental qualities: where's the rest of the toppings?  I always think of my Bloody Mary as a pre-breakfast and this leaves me wondering where the rest of the munchies are. Also, lack of heat and spice. 
Photo via Swanksalo
One of the founders of Franks, Christian Helms, is originally from North Carolina and as my man can safely say, I adore three things more than any other: style, Germans, and extolling the achievements of my fellow native North Carolinians.  He also does some excellent design work, including this hand-stiched Come And Get It sign.  So I suppose the fact that he's from my old stomping grounds should also be added to the Redeemable category.

No comments:

Post a Comment